LANGLEY – Newcomers to Langley will receive enhanced immigrant settlement services to help them settle into their new lives and gain employment through $695,346 in funding for the Immigrant Services Society of BC. This funding is part of a $20.3 million annual budget for the Settlement and Integration Program under WelcomeBC.
“Langley welcomes immigrants from many cultural backgrounds, and these services will help make their transition as smooth and easy as possible.”
-Langley MLA Mary Polak
• WelcomeBC’s award-winning website helps approximately 600,000 clients each year from B.C. and around the world, offers information accessible in several languages and makes it easier for immigrants to access vital information.
• By 2019, it’s expected that there will be over a million job openings in the province, and skilled immigrants will play a vital role in filling many of those positions.
Watch the newcomers’ videos here: http://www.welcomebc.ca/wbc/immigration/settle/newcomersguide
• Users can mix and match the language the host speaks in with the subtitle; for example viewers can watch the videos in Punjabi with English subtitles.
• Once the host’s language is selected, all the information on the screen will convert automatically.
• Clients can download the video scripts in any of the eleven languages to keep the instructions/lessons close at hand.
• The technical sophistication of these web videos/mobile offering is a first for any jurisdiction in Canada.